Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hunting the Green Man - Essex part 1

This week it's the turn of Essex, and another 6 churches have been lined up for examination. At the moment, I'm only interested in the churches that are on the current CotGM gazetteer. No doubt I'll check out churches not on the list at some future point. The current goal is confirmation of what's listed.

Shenfield St Mary's: 'Font'

Shenfield St Mary

The church was open when I arrived, and there is certainly a 'face' on the Font. Not what I would call a true GM, though the hair is certainly foliate. The font is made of Normandy stone and installed in 1390. In 1862 the font was removed to the churchyard. It was replaced by an Italian marble font in 1878. In 1895 the original font was purchased for use in Marsworth church in Bucks. In 1949 after much petitioning it was returned to Shenfield (Information taken from the church guide).

Shenfield Green Man on font

Doddinghurst All Saints: 'Font'

Doddinghurst All Saints

The church was locked, no access, so nothing to report. I've been here before, and it was locked then too, I may have to time a visit for the end of one of their services in future.

Mountnessing St Giles: 'Nave central pillar'

Mountnessing St Giles

The church was locked, no access, so nothing to report. I've been here before, and it was locked then too. There is a phone number for a keyholder, but I got no reply when I called it. Again, a return visit after a service may be called for.

Margaretting St Margaret: 'Font, corbel ends nearest tower'

Margaretting St Margaret

An interesting church, I had to collect and sign for a key the size of my hand, then cross a railway line to get access to the church! Two oak leaves coming from the mouth just about class these as Green Man corbels. I wouldn't class the font figure as a Green Man though as this was a classic 'tongue-poker' face.

Margaretting Green Man corbel Margaretting GM2

Margaretting Font

Stock Harvard All Saints 'Tower bosses, and above Priest's door'

Stock Harvard All Saints

I couldn't get access inside the church as a service was in session (only 1 or 2 parishioners - literally! - Hardly seems worth the effort, but the priest was giving it some in all his finery :-)) The Green Man on the Priest's Door on the south side is a jolly little chap though! There is also an odd stone head (not a Green man) on the wall behind the tower. I'll return another day to check out the interior.

Stock GM

West Hanningfield St Mary & St Edward - was locked, no access, so nothing to report.

W Hanningfield SS Mary Edward

So 3 out of 3 wasn't bad. If nothing else, I've confirmed the details for those three. More to come in Essex...

See this trip on Travelskoot.